Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Looking Forward to 2010

The 25 days of Fashion have inspired me to think of other ways I can give back to the world. It's not totally a fashion topic, but being charitable is always fashionable!

Here are my top 5 causes to give to in the new year:

Heifer International. This organization works to end hunger and poverty. By giving animals to families in need, they empower people to turn poverty into hope. I can totally get behind that.
I found out about it from here (this girl is hilarious, by the way)
When you give to the charity, you actually get to pick which animal you want to send to a family in poverty, so there are lots of different price ranges (like a flock of ducks - only $20!)

The Girl Effect. If you visit their website, it says "The World is a Mess. Agree or Disagree." Their solution? Encouraging girls to make a positive change in the world, because their participation in society can alter everything.
I found out about this one on facebook - see, it's good for something!

Bust a Move For Breast Health. This charity event is local, and super specific, but it represents something I feel strongly about. It's bringing people together to have fun and create opportunities for Nova Scotian women to have world-class breast health services. Cancer has really wreaked havoc with my family, and my Nan had breast cancer, so I support the cause, and it's not often you find a fundraiser that is truly FUN!

Provincial Autism Centre - Autism Golf Ball. Speaking of fun events, I somehow got hooked up with this super fun event where important people in Halifax come together to play mini golf, eat, drink, laugh, spend a bunch of money on superb silent auction prizes, dance,... and support an organization that supports kids and families with autism. The best part about the P.A.C., in my opinion, is that they really know their stuff - for families in NS, it's sometimes hard to find people who actually understand what autism means.
I volunteer with the P.A.C. to help plan the Golf Ball, and I'm hoping to get involved with some of their programs for autistic kids in the new year!

Saint Leonards Society of NS. I know people don't believe me when I say this, but if my parents had not had such strong and supportive family members during my childhood, we would have been homeless. I don't think that's an exaggeration. I also don't think it's an exaggeration to say that I have come a long way, and I can really give back now, to people who didn't have that support network. I think its amazing that Saint Leonards tries to provide something like that for people who are down on thier luck. It is so easy to get to that point.
This is where all my Christmas donations went!

I hope in the New Year everyone can find 5 causes they believe in so strongly. Happy 2010!

1 comment:

  1. (Added: I am looking at the Heifer Project right now) and I am thinking that I may start saving up for a llama... although a knitting basket would be fabulous (two llamas, two sheep, warmth for everyone). The knitting basket is so lovely because the family will have enough wool to wear and to sell at the market. Plus, when the animals reproduce they will be passed on to other in the community.

    ReplyDelete